UNASHAMED LOVE

Friday, 17 February 2017





Photo credit to Amos Ling ©

I love the song Unashamed Love by Jason Morant. It's a beautiful song about setting aside time to worship and spend time with God. We used to sing it at my church all the time when I was younger, I wish we still did, it's beautiful and the meaning behind the song is so touching.

At the first band practise of the year (which was yesterday), everything that came out of people's mouths were all about what God had wanted them to share, and what had been placed on their heart. When I was asked if I had anything to say, I was suddenly in a state of shock. Nothing had been placed on my heart and it felt like God didn't want me to share anything. I felt so incompetent. I gave the generic "God's got huge plans for you, I'm excited to see where this goes" talk but I knew deep down there was more I could've said, I just didn't know what. Until I lay in bed that night and began to pray. God suddenly placed all these words on my heart and it was truly incredible. I got to band practise this morning, and as the band finished off their last song, I grabbed a mic and told them I needed to give them a little pep talk. I love pep talks - but that's irrelevant. They all sat on the edge of the stage and the students were so involved in what I had to say. So I'm going to give you a pep talk - are you ready?

Once a term, my school has a full school assembly. This is the time when students from both the Junior Campus and Senior Campus can come together and celebrate/worship together as one body of Christ. I always look forward to it, the kids are always so cute! I remember my first ever full school assembly I led worship for. I was a nervous wreck, I was incredibly awkward on stage, and I honestly didn't give it my all. During one of the praise songs at the beginning, I remember looking down at the little kids down the front and I was in awe. I was in awe because of how excited they were to be praising God and how all of them just didn't care about what the others thought. From then on I was inspired, and it's so weird saying I was inspired by a 5 year old but it's so true! They were going hard, nothing was holding them back. They were jumping around, some of them were lifting their hands, they were shouting out the lyrics, some were even on their knees!

It's so easy for us to be afraid to worship God through body gestures. We're constantly wondering what the person next to us will think if we lift our hands in worship or if we jump around, and if you're on stage leading, it can sometimes be intimidating to look out at the congregation and just see people standing in their seats staring back at you. It sucks that this matters to us humans. It's sad that we care so much about what our peers think.

"Let everything that has breath praise the Lord. Praise the Lord."
- Psalm 150:6 NIV

We shouldn't have to worry about what others think. We are free to worship our God whatever way we please. Christ died on the cross so we could have this opportunity! 

If you're to take anything away from this post, this is it: 

Have that childlike faith. Dance like no ones watching, sing like no ones listening. Don't worry about what the person next to you is thinking because at the end of the day, it's between you and God, not between you, God and the person you probably never talk to. Don't be afraid - this freedom is yours, praise our God with all you have. Chase Him and seek Him constantly - don't let others intimidate you to do otherwise. Do what you need to do to worship, don't let anything hold you back, and don't ever feel ashamed for how you worship. God's worthy of your unashamed love.

If I could tell you anything, be that little kid. 

Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© The Worship Intern. Design by Fearne.